Learn more about the timeline and process for prospective students interested in applying to the program by transferring from a community college.
Start Your Journey
In mid-March, the Goodnight Scholars office will issue invitations to apply to prospective NC State transfer students who have applied for fall admission and transfer students who enrolled during the spring of that year. This invitation gives each student access to the Goodnight Scholars Program online application. The invitation is sent to the email address listed on the student’s general NC State application. The application is accessible via Pack ASSIST.
The Goodnight Scholarships office offers transfer students a scholarship valued at $22,000/year for three years.
Refugee, DACA, and undocumented students who are living in North Carolina and will graduate from a North Carolina community college are also eligible for this scholarship.
$120,000 or Less
*Adjusted Gross Income
Intended Major in STEM or STEM Education
Click to see our eligible majors
A.E, A.S, or A.A from a North Carolina community college
Additional criteria may be used to address critical needs in STEM and STEM education fields and encourage diversity and inclusion per the University’s strategic plan. Meeting all of our eligibility criteria does not guarantee you will receive an invitation to apply. Each year, the number of eligible candidates consistently exceeds the number of invitations we are able to distribute.
Transfer Application Timeline
- Apply to NC State
- Self-nomination form opens
- Prospective NC State transfer students who wish to be considered for an invitation to apply may nominate themselves for consideration. This form also allows students to share unique academic and/or financial circumstances that they feel may cause them to be overlooked for an invitation to apply to our Program. Self-nomination does not guarantee an invitation to apply, nor is it required to receive an invitation to apply. The form will close on March 5.
- Invitations to apply distributed
- Questions on the Goodnight Scholars Program application will focus on the student’s academic achievement, extracurricular and community involvement, and understanding of the role STEM fields play in addressing key societal and global issues. The application will also contain a section for the student to self-report household income and other financial information. Applications will be due March 28, 2023 and will be reviewed by a committee of NC State faculty, staff, alumni, and campus partners.
- Finalist Interview Day
- In mid-March March, the review committee and the Goodnight Scholars Program professional staff will select the top 100 candidates to join us for Finalist Interview Day taking place April 22nd, 2022. Participation in this event is required for all finalists who wish to be considered for the Goodnight Scholars Program.
- Scholarship Recipients Notified
- In early May, the Goodnight Scholars Program selection committee will meet and select the recipients and alternates for the incoming Transfer Class. Students will be notified of their status immediately via the email address listed on their Goodnight Scholars Program application. Recipients will have until May 5, 2023 to accept the scholarship offer.
Frequently Asked Questions
Get to know some of our transfer students, their experiences within the program, and the awesome things they are doing around campus and in their communities.