Established in 2008
The Goodnight Scholars Program, funded by a gift from Dr. Jim and Ann Goodnight, began with 25 scholars. Since then, it has grown into a comprehensive student development program designed to develop scholars into leaders within the STEM and/or education fields.
The scholarship is available to low and middle-income families from North Carolina and is limited to students studying in the STEM disciplines or affiliated education majors. The value of the scholarship is $21,000 and is renewable for up to four years for first-year students, and three years for transfer students. In addition to the scholarship, Goodnight Scholars have access to an assortment of developmental programming focused on their professional and personal growth.
Meet The Goodnights
Visionaries in Technology and Education
Dr. Jim Goodnight is founder and CEO of the SAS Institute, the world’s leading business intelligence software vendor. Ann Goodnight, director of community relations at SAS, is a member of the NC State Board of Trustees. Both are NC State graduates. Their frequent interactions with Goodnight Scholars provide students with unique and invaluable exposure to influential leaders.
The Goodnight Scholars Program invests in students from low- and middle-income families in North Carolina studying in STEM or STEM education disciplines. This investment represents a commitment to our students’ personal, professional and academic development through scholarship funding, comprehensive programming and enrichment opportunities. The Program empowers Goodnight Scholars to “pay it forward” as transformational leaders at NC State University, in North Carolina and in the world.
To accomplish this, every Goodnight Scholars Program initiative is created with the following goals in mind:
- To develop essential skills and competencies necessary for academic and professional achievement.
- To encourage commitment and persistence within STEM and STEM education disciplines.
- To develop influential and informed advocates for STEM and STEM education.
- To inspire active participation in leadership and group collaboration activities with practical application for future academic, social, and professional aspirations.
- To increase awareness and appreciation of civic responsibilities, social issues, and self in community.
- To cultivate global awareness and appreciation for the many cultures that comprise our intrinsically connected world.
- To establish strong personal and professional relationships with fellow Goodnight Scholars, NC State faculty/staff, NC State alumni, and STEM/STEM education professionals.
A Look Inside the Goodnight Scholars Community
Defining the Goodnight Scholars Program Experience
The Goodnight Scholars Program means something different to each of our scholars, all of whom represent the wonderful diversity found in our great state!
Global Success Stories
See what our scholars are doing at NC State, in North Carolina, and around the world.