Learn more about the timeline and process for prospective students interested in applying to the program directly out of high school.
Starting your Journey
In mid-December, the Goodnight Scholarships office will issue approximately 900 invitations to apply to prospective first-year NC State students who have applied for Fall admission. This invitation gives each student access to the Goodnight Scholars Program online application. The invitation is sent to the email address listed on the student’s general NC State application. The application is accessible via Pack ASSIST.
The Goodnight Scholarships offers first-year students a scholarship valued at $23,000/year for four years (or 8 semesters)
Refugee, DACA, undocumented, and international students who are living in North Carolina and will graduate from a North Carolina high school are also eligible for this scholarship.
$120,000 or Less
*Adjusted Gross Income
Intended Major in STEM or STEM Education
Click to see our eligible majors
Additional criteria may be used to address critical needs in STEM and STEM education fields and encourage diversity and inclusion per the University’s strategic plan. Meeting all of our eligibility criteria does not guarantee you will receive an invitation to apply. Each year, the number of eligible candidates consistently exceeds the number of invitations we are able to distribute.
First-Year Application Timeline
- Apply to NC State by the Early Action Deadline
- Self-nomination form opens
- Prospective NC State students who wish to be considered for an invitation to apply may nominate themselves for consideration. This form also allows students to share unique academic and/or financial circumstances that they feel may cause them to be overlooked for an invitation to apply. Self-nomination does not guarantee an invitation to apply, nor is it required to receive an invitation to apply. The nomination period ends on December 1.
- Invitations to apply distributed
- Questions on the Goodnight Scholars Program application will focus on the student’s academic achievement, extracurricular and community involvement and understanding of the role STEM fields play in addressing key societal and global issues. The application will also contain a section for the student to self-report household income and other financial information. Applications will be due mid-January and will be reviewed by a committee of NC State faculty, staff, alumni, and campus partners.
- Finalist Interview Day
- In early February, the review committee and the Goodnight Scholars Program professional staff will select the top 100 candidates to join us for a Finalist Interview Day taking place March 2nd 2024. Participation in this event is required for all finalists who wish to be considered for the Goodnight Scholars Program.
- Scholarship Recipients Notified
- In early March 2022, the Goodnight Scholars Program selection committee will meet and select the recipients and alternates for the class of 2026. Recipients will have until April 15, 2024, to accept the scholarship offer.
Frequently Asked Questions
Get to know some of our transfer students, their experiences within the program, and the awesome things they are doing around campus and in their communities.