Invitation to Apply
In mid-March, the Goodnight Scholars Program will issue approximately 800 invitations to apply to prospective NC State transfer students who have applied for fall 2022 admission. This invitation gives each student access to the Goodnight Scholars Program online application. The invitation is sent to the email address listed on the student’s general NC State application. The application is accessible via Pack ASSIST.
To be considered to receive an invitation to apply as a transfer student, a student must:
- Submit the general NC State application by February 15, 2022.
- Indicate a family income of less than $110,000 on the general NC State application.
- Select a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, or Math) or STEM education major at NC State.
- Enroll as a full-time student at NC State.
- Be a North Carolina resident. Refugee, DACA, and undocumented students who are living in North Carolina and will graduate from a North Carolina community college are also eligible for this scholarship.
- Submit his or her Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by March 1, 2022.
- Obtain an associate degree (A.A., A.S., or A.E.) from a North Carolina community college under the Comprehensive Articulation Agreement by fall 2021.
- Demonstrate a history of outstanding academic performance.
Additional criteria may be used to address critical needs in STEM and STEM education fields, and encourage diversity and inclusion per the University’s strategic plan. Meeting all of our eligibility criteria does not guarantee you will receive an invitation to apply. Each year, the number of eligible candidates consistently exceeds the number of invitations we are able to distribute.
Prospective NC State transfer students who wish to be considered for an invitation to apply may nominate themselves for consideration. This form also allows students to share unique academic and/or financial circumstances that they feel may cause them to be overlooked for an invitation to apply to our Program. Self-nomination does not guarantee an invitation to apply. The self-nomination form will be available here on February 15 and will close on March 5.
The Goodnight Scholars Program Application
Questions on the Goodnight Scholars Program application will focus on the student’s academic achievement, extracurricular and community involvement, and understanding of the role STEM fields play in addressing key societal and global issues. The application will also contain a section for the student to self-report household income and other financial information. Applications will be due March 29, 2022 and will be reviewed by a committee of NC State faculty, staff, alumni, and campus partners.
Not sure where to start when drafting your essays? You can find helpful tips via the links below.
- Goodnight Scholars Program’s Scholarship Essay Tips
- “Writing Winning Scholarship Essays” by Dr. Allison Medlin, director of the Goodnight Scholars Program
The Goodnight Scholars Program Transfer Finalist Interview Day
The Transfer Finalist Interview Days will take place on April 22nd, 2022. Up to 50 finalists will be chosen to participate and will be notified of their status via email in mid-April. Participation in Transfer Finalist Interview Day is required for all finalists who wish to be considered for the Goodnight Scholars Program. More information about the event will be shared in March 2022.
Recipient Selection and Notification
In early May, the Goodnight Scholars Program selection committee will meet and select the recipients and alternates for the Transfer Class of 2025. Students will be notified of their status immediately via the email address listed on their Goodnight Scholars Program application. Recipients will have until May 5, 2022 to accept the scholarship offer.
NC State Transfer Application Procedure & Deadlines
Throughout the entire Goodnight Scholars Program selection process, transfer students are expected to abide by the general NC State transfer application procedures and deadlines including submitting all official transcripts for completed spring coursework by June 1. Any scholarship offers from the Goodnight Scholars Program can be rescinded if any deadlines are missed.
Frequently Asked Questions
We encourage you to review our FAQ for additional information about eligibility, financial aid, and participation in the Goodnight Scholars Program.
We would love to hear from you and answer any other questions you have about our Goodnight Scholars community! You are invited to reach out to the Goodnight Scholars Program professional staff at email@example.com.