Invitation to Apply
By December 15, 2017 the Goodnight Scholars Program will issue approximately 700 invitations to apply to prospective first-year NC State students who have applied for fall 2018 admission. This invitation gives each student access to the Goodnight Scholars Program online application. The invitation is sent to the email address listed on the student’s general NC State application. The application is accessible via PackASSIST.
To receive an automatic invitation to apply, a student must:
- Submit his or her general NC State application by October 15, 2017.
- Indicate a family income of less than $110,000 on the NC State application (confirmed via the FAFSA. See the ‘Free Application for Federal Student Aid Submission’ below.)
- Be a North Carolina resident.
- Select a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering or Math) major or STEM education major.
- Demonstrate a history of exceptional academic performance. The dynamic type of student selected to apply typically achieves at least two of the three following criterion:
- Rank in the top 2% of his/her graduating class.
- Score above 1450 on the new SAT (CR+M) (equivalent to a 1400 on the old SAT) and/or score above a 32 on the ACT.
- Have at least a 3.9 (unweighted) GPA and/or 4.8 (weighted) GPA.
Additional criteria may be used to address critical needs in STEM and STEM education fields and encourage diversity and inclusion per the University’s strategic plan.
The Goodnight Scholars Program Application
Once the student receives the Goodnight Scholars Program application, he or she will be required to answer a series of questions pertaining to his or her candidacy. Questions will focus on the student’s academic achievement, extracurricular and community involvement, and understanding of the role STEM fields play in addressing key societal and global issues. The application will also contain a section for the student to self-report his or her household’s current total income and other financial information. Applications will be due January 15th, 2018. Applications are reviewed by a committee of NC State faculty, staff, alumni, and campus partners.
The Goodnight Scholars Finalist Interview Weekend
In early February, the review committee and the Goodnight Scholars Program Professional Staff will select the top 100 candidates to join us for an in-person interview on NC State’s Centennial Campus. The Finalist Interview Weekend is currently scheduled for Saturday, February 24, 2018. Interviews are conducted by NC State faculty, staff, alumni, and campus partners.
Please note: The Finalist Interview Day on Saturday, February 24, 2018 is mandatory for finalists who wish to be considered for the Program.
Free Application for Federal Student Aid Submission
By February 15, 2018, all students selected for the Goodnight Scholars Finalist Interview Day must submit their Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The information reported via FAFSA is used to verify self-reported income data on the Goodnight Scholars Program application.
Recipient Selection and Notification
In early March 2018, the Goodnight Scholars Program selection committee will meet and select the recipients and alternates for the Class of 2022. Students will be notified of their status immediately via the email address listed on their Goodnight Scholars Program application. Recipients will have until April 15, 2018 to accept the scholarship offer.
Frequently Asked Questions
We encourage you to review our FAQ for additional information about our Program and scholarship. If you have more questions after reading the FAQ, please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.