Invitation to Apply
3.6.2017 Update: All finalists have received updates regarding their status.
By December 23, 2016 the Goodnight Scholars Program will issue approximately 700 invitations to apply to prospective NC State students who have applied for Fall 2017 admission. This invitation gives each student access to the Goodnight Scholars Program online application. The invitation is sent to the email address listed on the student’s general NC State application. The application is accessible via PackASSIST.
To receive an automatic invitation to apply, a student must:
- Submit his or her general NC State application by October 15, 2016 (Update: The general NC State deadline has been extended to October 23, 2016 for residents of states affected by Hurricane Matthew [North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida.])
- Be a North Carolina resident.
- Have an adjusted gross income up to $100,000 and demonstrate financial need (confirmed via the FAFSA. See the ‘Free Application for Federal Student Aid Submission’ below.)
- Select a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering or Math) major or STEM education major.
- Demonstrate a history of exceptional academic performance. The dynamic type of student selected to apply typically achieves the following:
- Rank in the top 2% of his/her graduating class.
- Score above 1450 on the new SAT (CR+M) (equivalent to a 1400 on the old SAT) and/or score above a 32 on the ACT.
- Have at least a 3.9 (unweighted) GPA and/or 4.8 (weighted) GPA.
Additional criteria may be used to address critical needs in STEM and STEM education fields and encourage diversity and inclusion per the University’s strategic plan.
Prospective NC State students who have applied for Fall 2017 admission who do not meet the criteria listed above, but wish to be considered for an invitation to apply, may nominate themselves for consideration. 12.2.2016 Update: We are no longer accepting self-nominations for the Class of 2021. Information about the self-nomination process for the Class of 2022 will be available in Fall 2017.
The Goodnight Scholars Program Application
Once the student receives the Goodnight Scholars Program application, he or she will be required to answer a series of questions pertaining to his or her candidacy. Questions will focus on the student’s academic achievement, extracurricular and community involvement, and understanding of the role STEM fields play in addressing key societal and global issues. The application will also contain a section for the student to self-report his or her household’s current total income and other financial information. Applications will be due in mid-January 2017. Applications are reviewed by a committee of NC State faculty, staff, alumni, and campus partners.
The Goodnight Scholars Finalist Interview Weekend
In early February, the review committee and the Goodnight Scholars Program Professional Staff will select the top 100 candidates to join us for an in-person interview on NC State’s Centennial Campus. The Finalist Interview Weekend is currently scheduled for Saturday, February 25, 2017. Interviews are conducted by NC State faculty, staff, alumni, and campus partners.
Please note: The Finalist Interview Day on Saturday, February 25, 2017 is mandatory for finalists who wish to be considered for the Program.
Free Application for Federal Student Aid Submission
By February 15, 2017, all students selected for the Goodnight Scholars Finalist Interview Day must submit their Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The information reported via FAFSA is used to verify self-reported income data on the Goodnight Scholars Program application.
Recipient Selection and Notification
In early March 2017, the Goodnight Scholars Program selection committee will meet and select the recipients and alternates for the Class of 2021. Students will be notified of their status immediately via the email address listed on their Goodnight Scholars Program application. Recipients will have until April 15, 2017 to accept the scholarship offer.
Frequently Asked Questions
We encourage you to review our FAQ for additional information about our Program and scholarship. If you have more questions after reading the FAQ, please feel free to contact us at email@example.com.