Goodnight Spotlight: Loren Johnson

Dr. Loren Johnson. That has a nice ring to it!

Goodnight Scholars Program: Tell us a little bit about yourself.

Loren Johnson ’21: I am majoring in zoology with a minor in entrepreneurship. I am from Clayton, where I have lived my entire life. Although the area is growing fast and new neighborhoods are being built frequently, I can still drive past cow pastures and fields of corn and tobacco. As long as I can remember, I have enjoyed reading and doing crafts. I also like to play volleyball, basketball and softball. My passion for people, their pets, and animals in general is detected when I talk about my experiences or gain more knowledge about animals and their surrounding environment!

If you had to summarize your personality in one sentence, what would it say?

I am a determined and persistent yet kind-hearted person.

How would you describe your life as an NC State student?

I have enjoyed my time so far as an NC State student. Life on campus for me is busy and the time goes by quickly. My life as a student has been about finding a good balance of my time. I have been balancing classes, extracurricular activities, and social time. Besides coursework, I have integrated attending various campus events and joining clubs of interest. Personal activities for me are included also such as going to the gym, playing music, and reading leisurely. My activities provide me the opportunity to be spontaneous while having a set routine. For instance, I can have a new experience almost each day. Based on my past year, I do not want to miss these experiences since I know my time here will pass quickly.

Any personal accomplishments at NC State that you are proud of?

Becoming a Summer Start Mentor for New Student Programs. I have met and helped some of the Class of 2022 students as they transition to college! Providing information on such topics as tutors, the bus system, a meal plan or other on-campus resources can help them to make informed decisions and the best of their time at NC State.

The [Goodnight Scholars] Program invested in me showing me how to pay it forward and I do not want to take the opportunities that have been afforded to me for granted.

What is one experience you need to have at NC State before you graduate?

One experience I need to have at NC State before I graduate is to watch or compete in the Krispy Kreme Challenge.

Tell us about your time in the Goodnight Scholars Program.

My time in the Goodnight Scholars Program has been fulfilling. I have met people in my Goodnight family like the Goodnights, professional staff, my peers, and alumni from the Program that have been supportive in my life. Through socials, my cohort and other people in the Program have had enjoyable times.  I have also met influential people such as former North Carolina Governor James Hunt and University of North Carolina System President Margaret Spellings.

What does being a Goodnight Scholar mean to you?

Being the best me that I can be and being a good role model for those around me. It also means to be myself and expand my horizons. I try new things and meet people that I would not have gotten the chance to try or meet if I were not a Goodnight Scholar. I will forever be humbled and honored to represent the Goodnight Scholars Program. The Program invested in me showing me how to pay it forward and I do not want to take the opportunities that have been afforded to me for granted.

Do you have an unforgettable memory from your time in the Program thus far?

My Goodnight Scholars summer retreat. I still remember it as if it was yesterday. I had tons of fun learning about the members of my cohort. I will never forget the first time we met and how we became close throughout the year by going to family dinners after class, struggling together over homework, or simply encouraging each other.

Where do you picture yourself after graduation?

After graduation, I picture myself going to NC State’s College of Veterinary Medicine to receive my Doctor in Veterinary Medicine.  After becoming Dr. Johnson, I plan to open my practice.

Photography credit: Jason Perry/Goodnight Scholars Program