Got Hot Chocolate?

Finding the right college for you is a lot like finding the perfect cup of hot chocolate. No lie. Liesl explains.

Have you heard of Sheetz? For any Northerners out there, think Wawa. Sheetz is basically a cooler than normal gas station with touch screens inside that have pretty pictures of food and drinks that you can order. If you’re in the mood for food at a gas station, I highly recommend their churros. But I’m not here to talk to you about that delicious, cinnamon sugar coated goodness. You’ve probably already guessed what I really want to discuss right now (hint: it’s in the title): Sheetz hot chocolate.

I have a weird taste preference. I like sweet things, but I tend to think most sweet things are too sweet. I’m not a 72% cacao dark chocolate type of girl, but I also can’t get myself to finish a chocolate ice cream with fudge drizzle and brownie bites, if you know what I mean. With that being said, after many a gas station hazelnut cappuccinos with my dad during high school, I think my taste buds were resigned to thinking that the hot drink dispensers at gas stations only sold super sweet hot chocolate. That is until I drank the hot chocolate at Sheetz.

I never expected Sheetz hot chocolate to be as good as it is, but now that I’ve discovered it, I am a changed woman. Their hot chocolate is maintained at just the right temperature, and has just the right amount of creaminess and chocolaty goodness with a perfectly balanced sweetness. As of right now, it is my favorite hot chocolate. Ever. If you haven’t had Sheetz hot chocolate before, I highly recommend it. Prepare for a party in your taste buds. And if you can find any better easily accessible hot chocolate out there, let me know, because I haven’t.

On a separate, but still related note, congratulations to all those recently accepted into NC State as #NCSU20! If you choose to go here, you’re in for quite a good time (and a great education of course). I remember back in the day when I got accepted into State, when there was just Internet Explorer and not Microsoft Edge. Those were the days! If you read my first ever First Year Blog post, you might have gotten a glimpse at the “Liesl of the Past.” I was the type of person that was happy that I got into State, but wasn’t overjoyed. During my senior year of high school, I didn’t really know what I wanted to major in. I applied for things I felt drawn to in the STEM field, because I knew that’s the area what I wanted to stay in, but I didn’t really know where I wanted to go or what I wanted to do specifically. NC State is just a few miles away from my home, and that closeness made me believe that I wouldn’t have the “full college experience.”

But I was wrong, once again.

Congratulations to all those recently accepted into NC State as #NCSU20! If you choose to go here, you’re in for quite a good time (and a great education of course).

Coming back this semester, getting back in the groove of informational emails from teachers, clubs, and programs I’m in, catching up with friends I hadn’t seen over break, coming back to Goodnight events and meeting new people each time, being walking distance from food galore: All these things are the things I realized I missed over break. Of course winter break was lovely: no homework, no stress, the opportunity to just hang out with family and friends over the holidays. Coming back, I was dreading doing homework, waking up early, and taking tests, but after being back on campus, I realized that I really missed what had become my own personal college experience.

So if you’re reading this and your attitude towards getting accepted into State, or any college or university in general is like mine was, then I really hope you are able to cast aside your hot chocolate judgments (but instead of hot chocolate, I mean your college options, in case you weren’t catching my drift). Take the time to make sure you make the right choice for yourself, no matter what that choice is (but you should go to State, because it’s awesome.) No matter what you decide, just know that sometimes, the place that’s meant for you may not be the place you first imagined, but your experience there can still be as great as you could ever imagine. I know it’s corny, but it’s true, so just pretend that you like reading corny statements.

And if you’re reading this and college acceptances are nowhere on your mind, then try some Sheetz hot chocolate. And if hot chocolate isn’t your thing, go out there and find your hot-chocolate-equivalent activity. Go you and go Pack!